Steps You Should Take If Your Child Is the Victim of a Chicago Dog AttackListed below are steps to take if your child was injured during a Chicago dog attack:
- Seek immediate medical attention – Ensure that your child is seen by a medical professional immediately, even if you think the injuries are minor. Make sure the dog bite injuries are well documented and any follow-up care is heeded.
- Notify the authorities – Notify the proper authorities and make a police report. The police may direct you to contact another level of authority. Never skip this step as by doing so, you may be preventing another dog attack from happening.
- Get the dog owner’s information – It’s important to try and find out who the owner of the dog is. You will need their name, address and telephone number. A police officer may be able to get this information for you, if you are unable to do so. If you are still unable to get this information, write down details about the dog that attacked, which may include their breed, color, markings, size and where the attack took place.
- Document your child’s injuries – A dog bite can leave permanent scarring and disfiguration. Be sure to document your child’s injuries by taking pictures of the injuries and gathering important papers such as doctor reports, medical bills and any notations from the treating physician.
- Contact a Chicago dog bite lawyer who will help direct your next steps.
Children who experience a dog attack may suffer both physical wounds and emotional pain. They may be facing a long road ahead with the possibility of surgery if they have been disfigured or the bite became severely infected. Many children are so traumatized by a dog attack that it’s necessary to seek emotional counseling.
A Chicago dog bite lawyer can assess your financial damages and assemble a compelling case to address your monetary needs in the wake of a dog attack.
Dealing with a dog attack can be a complex process. A Chicago dog bite lawyer can help you make sense of the local and state laws and statutes governing a dog attack in Illinois.
Contacting a Chicago Dog Bite Lawyer
Dog bite injuries can leave psychological and physical scars. At the Law Offices of Barry G. Doyle, P.C, a Chicago dog bite lawyer will examine all aspects of your dog bite case, determine liability, and aggressively pursue the full amount of compensation due to you for any injuries or loss you may have suffered as a result of your dog bite incident. Contact us today for a free case evaluation – 312-263-1080.