Patients who benefit from receiving an implantable defibrillator include those with:
- a weak heart;
- ventricular fibrillation;
- ventricular tachycardia;
- dilated cardiomyopathy;
- hypertrophic cardiomyopathy; and
- reduced function of pumping to the heart.
Doctors have a duty to ensure that a patient is receiving not only a safe medical device but a necessary one.
Complications from a Defective Implantable Defibrillator
There are not only inherent risks to any type of surgery that is performed but there are specific risks to a patient who is using a defective implantable defibrillator.
Complications of a defective implantable defibrillator can include:
- defect in the lead (either a fracture or movement out of place) that goes into the heart, which can result in unnecessary electrical shocks to the heart or a loss of effectiveness of the ICD;
- movement of generator, which can lead to bleeding, skin erosion and pain;
- failure to operate properly, which can lead a patient to suffer cardiac arrest without receiving the necessary shock; and
- inappropriate shocks that cause unnecessary pain and may lead to emotional trauma.
How a Chicago Defective Product Attorney Can Help YouIf you have been seriously injured because of a defective implantable defibrillator, your Chicago defective product attorney can help determine whether your ICD was a recalled dangerous medical device.
Even if an ICD is recalled after a procedure, your doctor has a duty to ensure that it is removed and replaced with a safer one. If a doctor fails to do so, this could result in liability. Additionally, anyone involved in the making or selling of a dangerous medical device could also be held liable for damages.
A Chicago defective product attorney is your best resource in helping you determine whether you have a valid Chicago product liability claim. They can gather your medical records and any other necessary evidence to build a strong argument for your case.
Contact a Chicago Defective Product Attorney Today
The Law Offices of Barry G. Doyle, P.C. have tried many cases like yours and understand the intricacies of a product liability claim involving defective medical devices. For a no-cost case evaluation and help preparing your evidence contact us today – 312-263-1080