Car accidents are one of the leading causes of wrongful death in the nation. Your loved one may have been the most cautious of drivers, but sadly, the negligence and misconduct of others create tragic situations outside of our control. A Chicago wrongful death lawyer can help explain your legal options as a surviving family member and, if necessary, help you file an Illinois wrongful death claim.
What kind of Illinois car accident can result in wrongful death?
The vehicles involved in a fatal Illinois car accident don’t even have to collide to cause serious or fatal injury. Reckless driving can cause even the best driver to have to swerve off the road and collide with other objects. Rollovers caused by road hazards or debris can also result in car accidents that result in fatal injuries.
As with any Illinois wrongful death claim, negligence plays the deciding role in determining liability and the overall outcome. Some of the more common bases of negligence in an Illinois car accident include:
- Following too closely or failing to properly slow down, resulting in a rear-end accident;
- Failing to obey traffic signals;
- Failing to yield the right-of-way;
- Failing to keep a safe and proper lookout;
- Failing to keep in a single lane;
- Changing lanes when it was not safe to do so or without signaling;
- Making unsafe turns;
- Failing to use a turn signal before turning;
- Driving while intoxicated;
- Failing to keep vehicle under control
Car Insurance Won’t Help MuchIllinois state law only requires a minimum of $20,000/$40,000 for insurance coverage for car accidents. While many drivers carry higher limits, most still do not have enough liability coverage to come close to the damages required in an Illinois wrongful death claim.
That’s why after a fatal Illinois car accident has claimed the life of your loved one you should consult with a Chicago wrongful death lawyer. They can help you in filing an Illinois wrongful death claim and seek the damages your family is entitled to from the loss of your loved one.
Continue to Next Page >>