To provide parents convenience and ease of use, many cribs are designed with sides that drop down. This provides easier access to the child; however, it may also potentially lead to serious child injuries. Dangerous cribs that cause injuries to a child could result in an Illinois product liability lawsuit.
The idea that a product designed for a child could result in injuries is difficult to comprehend. Yet if your child has sustained injuries because of a dangerous children’s product, a Chicago product liability lawyer may be able to help you recover damages for your child’s care. To recover compensation however, not only will you need to prove the extent of your child’s injuries but you will need to prove that a dangerous crib directly caused those injuries.
A Chicago product liability lawyer can help you gather evidence and may even secure expert testimony about the dangerous product and your child’s resulting injuries.
One of the more dangerous cribs on the market is drop-side cribs. With more and more recalls taking place, the Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC) and other organizations that focus on crib safety, are beginning to raise concerns and awareness.
Here are some of the safety issues with drop-side cribs that can potentially make them dangerous for children:
- gaps can form between the mattress and the side that drops, which could entrap a baby and cause suffocation;
- inexpensive parts that increase the risk of product failure;
- installing the side that drops upside down can lead to an increase of wear on the hardware;
- hardware could become loose quickly with cribs that are made of certain types of soft wood; and
- hardware on drop-side can easily warp or break.
These are just some of the safety issues posed with drop-side cribs. These common defects are why more than 20 separate recalls for drop-side cribs have been issued since 2007.
Continue to Next Page >>