- AAA Foundation for Traffic Safety: This research, education, and advocacy branch of the American Automobile Association provides extensive resources and materials for improving the traffic safety culture.
- Active Transportation Alliance: Formerly known as the Chicagoland Bicycle Federation, this advocacy group promotes safe and environmentally sound transportation practices, including the reduction of injuries to bicyclists and pedestrians
- Alliance Against Intoxicated Motorists: Advocacy and support for families and survivors of drunk driving accidents.
- Alliance Against Intoxicated Motorists – Schaumburg: This Schaumburg-based advocacy group provides support to the victims of drunk driving accidents and their families by monitoring criminal proceedings following a serious car accident. They are also heavily involved in legislative efforts to strengthen drunk-driving laws and in driver education initiatives.
- Allstate claims practices in Business Week: Article traces Allstate’s unfair claims practices in denying fair compensation to car accident victims to a business plan to increase corporate profits.
- Barry G. Doyle’s Safe Driving Resources:Illinois roadways are dangerous. Being a safe driver means being an informed driver. Here is a list of resources that I think will be helpful to educate Illinois drivers.
- CNN Expose on Auto Insurer Claim Practices, Part 1: CNN looks at the claims practices adopted by large auto insurance carriers such as Allstate and State Farm to unfairly deny the victims of smaller auto accidents fair reasonable compensation for the negligence of the drivers they insure.
- CNN Expose on Auto Insurer Claim Practices, Part 2: Continuation of CNN reporting on unfair auto claims practices by State Farm and Allstate.
- Current Dram Shop Limits: The amount recoverable under The Dram Shop Act is adjusted each year on January 20 and the damages limit is published by State Comptroller Dan Hynes.
- Northeast Illinois Chapter of MADD:This MADD chapter offers victim impact panels and victim assistance to drunk driving victims in the Northeast Illinois area, including Cook, DuPage, and Lake Counties.
Slip and Fall Accident
- Carbon Monoxide Poisoning Fact Sheet from CDC: Information from the Center for Disease Control regarding symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning, causes of carbon monoxide poisoning, and ways to prevent it.
- Carbon monoxide safety video: The Centers for Disease Control prepared this video with good safety tips for preventing deaths and injuries from carbon monoxide.
- Information on carbon monoxide poisoning: Excellent basic article containing information regarding the causes, symptoms, and treatment of carbon monoxide poisoning.
- Resources for Survivors of Carbon Monoxide Poisoning: Excellent site with information for survivors of carbon monoxide poisoning accidents
Work Related Personal Injury
- Illinois Worker’s Compensation Commission: Official site for agency responsible for adjudication of all worker’s compensation claims in the State of Illinois.
- Illinois Worker’s Compensation Commission: The official site of the Worker’s Compensation Commission, the body that adjudicates worker’s compensation cases.
- NIOSH Trenching and Excavation Resources: Information from the National Institute of Occupational Safety and Health on trenching and excavation safety.
- Hurt Report — study of causes of motorcycle crashes: In 1981, the seminal study on the causes of motorcycle accidents was published. Known as the Hurt report, it showed that the leading cause of multi-vehicle crashes involving motorcycles was the failure of the driver of the passenger vehicle to see the motorcycle and yield the right of way.
- Motorcycle Safety Foundation: National group promoting motorcycle rider training and motorcycle accident prevention.
- National Association of State Motorcycle Safety Administrators: National organization which promotes the “Start Seeing Motorcyclists” safety campaign
- NTHSA Guide to Identifying Unsafe Motorcycle Helmets: Use of a safe helmet can reduce the chances of death or brain injury in the event of a motorcycle accident.
- Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration: Official site of government agency responsible for overseeing the trucking industry and setting standards for safe truck operation.
- Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration Trucking Company Profiles: On-line database maintained by the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration, including trucking crash data and insurance information for all of the nation’s interstate trucking companies.
- FMCSA Rules and Regulations: Trucking regulations intended to prevent trucking accidents and assure safe roads can be found at this web site.
- Truck Safety Coalition: A partnership between the Citizens for Reliable and Safe Highways (CRASH) and Parents Against Tired Truckers, this group seeks to limit the number of injuries and deaths caused by unsafe truck drivers, including drivers who drive when they are too tired to do so safely.
- U.S. Department of Transportation Distracted Driving Web Site: The U.S Department of Transportation created this web site to highlight the dangers of distracted driving, which has become a leading cause of car accidents and truck accidents in recent years.
Dog Bite Attacks
- Chicago Dangerous Dog Ordinance:Text to City of Chicago Ordinance defining what a dangerous dog is and what requirements must be followed.
- Dogs Bite: Organization which advocates for victims of dog bites and for breed-specific legislation, especially directed towards pit bulls.
Lawsuits and Claims Against the CTA
- NBC Channel 5 News Report on CTA Notice Requirement: A news piece by Lisa Parker of NBC Channel 5 News on how the CTA notice requirement puts the cases of accident victims at risk.
- Federal Railroad Administration: The federal agency responsible for regulating the railroad industry.
Federal Employers Liability Act (FELA)
- Railroad Retirement Board: The Railroad Retirement Board administers a disability benefits program which provides an alternate source of income to railroaders who are off work because of injury or illness.
- Video on FELA: Fascinating documentary look at historical origins of FELA, showing why FELA is needed to help prevent injury to railroaders.
- Illinois Nursing Home Complaints:The Illinois Nursing Home Complaint website provides a quick and easy way for those who believe they have experienced nursing home abuse and/or neglect to submit a complaint to the Illinois Department of Public Health (IDPH). It is an important resource to help promote better nursing home practice and fight nursing home abuse and neglect incidents.
- List of Never Events: The National Quality Forum has developed a list of “Never Events” — serious health care errors that have the potential to jeopardize the safety and well-being of patients. Many of these are considered JCAHO sentinel events.
Prescription medication errors | Pharmacist malpractice
- U.S. Pharmacopeia Drug Error Finder: This helps prevent prescription medication errors by identifying drugs which have similar sounding names to the one you are prescribed as well as drugs which have similar spellings. “Sound alike” and “look alike” medications are two of the most common forms of prescription errors.
Dangerous and Defective Product Suits
- Center for Foodborne Illness Research & Prevention: Valuable information from this national nonprofit organization dedicated to preventing foodborne illnesses and deaths through research, advocacy, and education.
- Consumer Product Safety Commission – Product Recalls: The CPSC maintains a searchable database of products that have been recalled.
- Consumer Product Safety Commission – Product Recalls: The Consumer Product Safety Commission maintains a searchable database of products that have been recalled.
- FDA MAUDE Database: A searchable database of reports of adverse events involving medical devices and equipment. Use this database to determine whether a device which you are considering using or have used in the past was associated with an adverse event such as a user injury.
- Food & Drug Administration Recall Database: Research recalls of tainted, dangerous, and unsafe food products in the FDA’s searchable database.
- Illinois Child Safety Seat Inspection Stations: List of Illinois child safety seat inspection stations to help ensure that your child’s safety seat is properly installed so as to prevent injury in the event of an accident, provided courtesy of the National Highway Transportation Safety Administration
- Illinois Worker’s Compensation Commission: The offical site of the Worker’s Compensation Commission, the body which adjudicates worker’s compensation cases in Illinois.
- Information from ADA on Fosamax induced ONJ: Information from the American Dental Association on osteonecrosis of the jaw (ONJ) caused by the use of fosamax or other bisphosphonate drugs
- NHTSA Product Recall Database: The National Highway Transportation Safety Adminsitration maintains a searchable database of product recalls involving motor vehicles and other equipment dating back to 1966.
- NIOSH Asbestos Resource Page: Information regarding asbestos from NIOSH
- OSHA’s Asbestos Information Page: Information from OSHA concerning asbestos regulations and standards, exposure levels, hazards, and other topics.
- PLOS Medicine: Library of documents relating to Wyeth’s ghostwriting campaign for the hormone replacement medication prempro. Ghostwriting is a tactic common to many drug manufacturers where they hire professional writers to draft articles for publication in scholarly journals under the name of resepcted researchers. These articles play up the benefits of using a medication, or downplay the risks. The net result is increased sales due to hospitals and doctors overestimating the benefits of the drug and underestimating its risks.
- Pool Safety Web Site from the Consumer Product Safety Commission: The Consumer Product Safety Commission provides information regarding pool safety for consumers and local government units aimed at preventing child drownings and pool suction and entrapment injuries.
- President’s Food Safety Working Group: Site providing information about steps for improving our nation’s food safety and eliminating the occurrence of food borne illness from contaminated food.
- Tardive Dyskenesia Information: Information from the National Institute of Neurologic Disorders and Stroke regarding tardive dyskenesia, a movement disorder linked to long term use of neuroleptic drugs such as Reglan.
General Legal Information
- American Association for Justice: Formerly known as the Association of Trial Lawyers of America, this is the national bar association for lawyers representing the victims in personal injury, medical malpractice, and worker’s compensation cases. Mr. Doyle is a member of the Nursing Home Litigation Group, the Interstate Trucking Litigation Group, and the Traumatic Brain Injury Litigation Group.
- Clerk of Circuit Court of Champaign County, Illinois: Official site of the Clerk of the Circuit Court of Champaign County in Urbana, Illinois.
- Clerk of Circuit Court of DeKalb County in Sycamore, Illinois: Official site of the Clerk of the Circuit Court of DeKalb County in Sycamore, Illinois
- Clerk of Circuit Court of Kane County in Geneva, IL: Official site for the Clerk of the Circuit Court of Kane County in Geneva, IL
- Clerk of Circuit Court of LaSalle County in Ottawa, IL: Official site of the Clerk of the Circuit Court of LaSalle County in Ottawa, IL
- Clerk of Circuit Court of McHenry County in Woodstock, IL: Official site of the Clerk of the Circuit Court of McHenry County in Woodstock, IL
- Clerk of Circuit Court of McLean County in Bloomington, Illinois: Official site of the Clerk of the Circuit Court of McLean County in Bloomington, Illinois
- Clerk of Circuit Court of Will County in Joliet, IL: Official site of the Clerk of the Circuit Court of Will County in Joliet, IL
- Clerk of Circuit Court of Winnebago County in Rockford, Illinois: Official site of the Clerk of the Circuit Court of Winnebago County in Rockford, Illinois
- Clerk of the Circuit Court of Boone County in Belvidere, Illinois: Official site of the Clerk of the Circuit Court of Boone County in Belvidere, Illinois
- Clerk of the Circuit Court of Cook County, Illinois: Obtain on-line information about cases pending in the Circuit Court of Cook County in Chicago, Illinois
- Clerk of the Circuit Court of DuPage County: Obtain on-line information from the Clerk of the Circuit Court of DuPage County in Wheaton, Illinois.
- Illinois Trial Lawyers Association: This is the primary bar association for lawyers in Illinois who represent victims in personal injury, medical malpractice, and worker’s compensation cases.
- Illinois Worker’s Compensation Commission: The official site of the Worker’s Compensation Commission, the body which adjudicates worker’s compensation case in Illinois.
- Official Site of Illinois Supreme Court: Opinions, information,and other resources from the Illinois Supreme Court
Resources for Accident Victims
- Brain Injury Association of Illinois: Provides support and information for victims of brain injuries throughout the State of Illinois.
- Brain Trauma Foundation: The Brain Trauma Foundation develops guidelines and provides research and educational opportunities for health care professionals involved in the treatment of traumatic brain injury.
- Illinois Fire Safety Alliance Burn Camp: This Mount Prospect, IL fire safety organization sponsors a camp for burn survivors ages 8 – 16 where they do not need to feel self-conscious about their appearance and where their special needs can be met.
- Information on Traumatic Brain Injury: The National Institute of Health provides a tutorial on traumatic brain injuries.
- Reflex Sympathetic Dystrophy (RSD): Information regarding reflex sympathetic dystrophy (RSD), also known as complex regional pain syndrome, for professionals and the public from the Reflex Sympathetic Dystrophy Syndrome Association
- Rush Medical Center Information on Disc Injuries: Information from Rush Medical Center on disc injuries to the cervical spine (neck) and lumbar spine (lower back).
- Spinal Cord Injury Association of Illinois: A LaGrange, IL organization devoted to provide information, support, and resources to paralyzed victims of spinal cord injury.
- Tips for Selecting Attorney in Brain Injury Case: Tips from the Brain Injury Association of America for selecting an attorney to assist you in prosecuting your brain injury case.
- AARP Report on Nursing Home Lawsuits: AARP sponsored a study of nursing home litigation in Tennessee during the debate on capping non-economic damages in nursing home lawsuits. Among the study’s conclusions: damage caps do not help reduce litigation costs and that improving staffing levels at nursing homes and improving monitoring from the state would help improve the quality of care for nursing home residents.
- American Association for Justice: This is the national organization for plaintiff’s personal injury attorneys. Mr. Doyle is a member, and belongs to the Nursing Home Litigation Group, the Traumatic Brain Injury Group, and the Interstate Trucking Litigation Group.
- Annals Of Internal Medicine of Falls in Nursing Homes: Published in 1994, this article is an excellent survey of the causes and means of preventing falls in nursing homes. Recognition of the risk factors for falls and the causes of falls, as well as stategies for prevention has long been known in the nursing home industry, but resident continue to be seriously injured in nursing home falls.
- Blog Catalog: Catalog of numerous blogs on various topics, including those relating to health and law.
- Clerk of Circuit Court of Peoria County in Peoria, Illinois: The official site of the Clerk of the Circuit Court of Peoria County in Peoria, Illinois
- Guidelines for Prevention of Falls in Older Adults: The American Geriatrics Society issued a series of practice guidelines for preventing falls by senior citizens, a major issue in nursing home abuse and neglect cases.
- Illinois Citizens for Better Care: Chicago based advocacy group for improved care in Illinois nursing homes.
- Illinois Department of Public Health – Nursing Home Information: Access to information on all licensed Illinois Nursing Homes, including results of inspections and other key information concerning nursing homes in the State of Illinois.
- Illinois nursing home ombudsmen: Ombudsmen are intended to be advocates for the nursing home residents and their families and to assist them in resolving issues which may not justify legal action. There are regional ombudsmen throughout the State of Illinois who are available to assist you in resolving issues with nursing home care.
- Illinois Nursing Home Safety Task Force: Formed after series of news stories on violence in nursing homes, this multi-agency Illinois state task force is investigating causes and solutions for problems that put nursing home residents at risk of unnecessary injury or death.
- Illinois Trial Lawyers Association: State bar association for plaintiff’s personal injury attorneys. Mr. Doyle is a member of this organization as well.
- National Citizens Coalition for Nursing Home Reform: Organization devoted to advocacy and protection of nursing home residents through legislative activity and consumer education.
- National Pressure Ulcer Advisory Panel: Professional panel that develops protocols for the prevention and treatment of pressure ulcers, otherwise refererred to as decubitus ulcers or bed sores.
- National Seniors Citizens Law Center: Lobbying and advocacy organization which helps ensure that federal safety net programs in fact benefit seniors and other groups which are intended to benefit from them.