Parents go out of their way to make sure that their children are kept safe, and this is especially true with children’s toys and other products that could lead to child injury cases. There are many child safety laws on the books designed to prevent dangerous products from making it onto market and into our children’s hands.
Manufacturers have a special responsibility to recognize the dangers that their products may pose to small children because of their small stature and inability to appreciate the dangers and to protect themselves against it. Unfortunately, accidents do still happen and many child injury cases are still reported every year.
Hazards especially common in causing child injury cases include:
- Swallowing and choking hazard – children often put things into their mouths which may become lodged in their throats or intestines, causing serious injuries;
- Strangulation or suffocation hazard – children can become entrapped in products which become wrapped around their necks or which compress their chests which keeps them from breathing.
When manufacturers are negligent in following child safety laws their products can create these hazards. There are many child injury lawyers in Chicago, Illinois that can help handle child injury claims. Some even specialize in certain types of child injury, such as a child strangulation lawyer.
Experienced child injury lawyers in Chicago, Illinois like those at the Law Offices of Barry G. Doyle, P.C. have seen many products which have been implicated as being unsafe for children despite being promoted as appropriate for children:
- Magnetix toy magnets – these are small powerful magnets which when swallowed by children, attract each other through the intestine walls, pinching the intestines together, leading to serious injury and death;
- Lead paint toys – even though lead paint has been banned for years, it is still used in many products which have been imported from China. Lead paint when ingested can cause cognitive developments delays.
- Cribs – Many lines of cribs have been recalled due to sidewalls collapsing and getting entrapped underneath, resulting in the child suffocating;
- Car seats – several lines have been shown to inadequately restrain infants and protect them in the event of a crash.
Even when these products are designed to follow child safety laws, defects or unforeseen dangers often occur during production. Product safety recalls often only come once enough child injury cases are reported – meaning your child could become a statistic before the dangers are even made public.
When you contact the child injury lawyers in Chicago, Illinois at the Law Offices of Barry G. Doyle, P.C. you’re not only obtaining the confidence of years of experience with Illinois child safety laws, you’re giving your family the legal representation they need to pursue the compensation you deserve.