There is no single individual or entity that is specifically charged with determining who is responsible for a traffic accident. Sometimes, the person at fault is obvious; other times, a police officer or other law enforcement official can figure out which driver caused the accident. In some cases, a court of law must decide which party was responsible for an Illinois car accident.The basic blueprint for determining fault in a traffic accident is the collection of laws and rules governing how drivers are supposed to behave on the road. All Illinois drivers are required to know these regulations as a condition of receiving their drivers’ licenses.Common Accident CausesIn many cases, drivers are at fault if it is demonstrated that the car accident occurred because they violated one of these laws. Some frequent causes of car accidents include:
- running a red light or stop sign
- making an illegal turn
- failing to yield right-of-way to another driver
But other scenarios are less clear in establishing accident responsibility. Some examples of these situations are:
- motorists switching lanes simultaneously into the same lane
- accidents which take place during inclement weather conditions
- collisions occurring between drivers in parking lots
What You Should Do After a Car AccidentIf you are involved in an Illinois car accident, there are specific actions you should take, including:
- Seek medical attention if you are seriously injured.
- Move your vehicle out of the flow of traffic if possible.
- Exchange insurance information with the other driver or drivers.
- Contact the police if necessary.
In order to establish accident responsibility, it is a good idea to gather certain pieces of evidence, such as:
- statements from witnesses who saw the accident happen;
- photographs of the damage and accident site; AND
- any signs or lane markings at or near the collision site.
If you feel that another driver is responsible for an accident which injured you or your loved ones, you should consider contacting a Chicago personal injury lawyer.A Chicago personal injury lawyer at the Law Offices of Barry G. Doyle, P.C. will help you monitor your medical expenses and work toward a settlement to get your life back on track. Contact us today for a free case evaluation – (312) 263-1080.