- Contributory negligence of the deceased;
- Contributory negligence of the beneficiary;
- Settlement prior to death;
- Exclusive remedy of Workers’ Compensation Act;
- Statute of limitations; and
- Any defense to the underlying case.
Some of the more common defenses used on the damages portion of a wrongful death case include:
- No evidence of medical causation;
- No evidence of conscious pain and suffering;
- Lack of certainty as to economic damages; and
- Poor quality relationship between deceased and beneficiary.
The insurance company will have a team of expert attorneys working for their best interests, shouldn’t you have a qualified Chicago wrongful death lawyer looking out for yours?Hiring a Chicago Wrongful Death LawyerDuring this time, grieving for your loved one and taking care of your family should be your main focus, not dealing with insurance companies. Retaining the legal services of a Chicago wrongful death lawyer can help you focus on moving on with life without your loved one while your attorney deals with the legalities, research, and paperwork involved with your wrongful death claim.The Chicago wrongful death lawyers at the Law Offices of Barry G. Doyle, P.C. will give you and your case the expertise, compassion and respect you deserve during this difficult time. Contact us today for a free case evaluation – (312) 263-1080