It’s not surprising to learn that a large number of auto accidents occur when the paths of two vehicles intersect. Obviously, most of these types of collisions take place at intersections where two roads cross each other. But these “intersecting path” crashes don’t always happen at intersections.
Take the case of a three-vehicle wreck in Oswego over the weekend. On Sunday morning around 9:30am, two vehicles were both traveling eastbound on Lincoln Highway just past Douglas Road. At this spot, two eastbound lanes merge into a single lane, so the paths of both cars eventually “intersected” in the same lane. It was at this meeting point where the two vehicles collided, sending one of them into a third vehicle.
Three teenagers were injured in the auto accident: the 19-year old man driving one of the merging vehicles, his 18-year old female passenger, and an 18-year old woman who was driving the third vehicle. The passenger was listed in critical condition. Oswego police issued failure to yield to merging traffic citations to the drivers of both merging vehicles.
This scenario is interesting when it comes to assigning fault in the crash. Since both eastbound drivers were ticketed, it is likely that they will both be held partially (or perhaps equally) responsible for the injuries that occurred. That means that the two female victims could file personal injury lawsuits against both drivers in the hopes of receiving reimbursement for medical expenses and/or damages for pain and suffering.
In cases like this, a court could determine which defendant possessed a greater degree of liability in the auto accident and express this decision in terms of percentages. For instance, one driver could be held 60% accountable with the other being 40% accountable. It is those percentages which would determine how much of the total damage award that each defendant is responsible for paying.