For individuals who are severely obese and need to lose a significant amount of weight, gastric bypass surgery or gastric banding may be the best option. However with any type of surgery there are risks involved.Complications from gastric bypass surgery and gastric banding are possible but can many times be prevented.Some of the complications that can occur from gastric banding include:
- Blood clot – Doctor should provide options such as compression stockings, compression pumps, and blood-thinning injections to help prevent a blood clot from forming in the leg, which could be life-threatening if it leads to a lung blockage.
- Organ Damage – A doctor could accidentally damage other organs in the body while performing the procedure.
- Infection – Doctors should make sure patients receive antibiotics to ward off infections from their wounds.
- Gastric Band Problems – A doctor should carefully monitor that the gastric band is positioned correctly otherwise it can break or slip out of place, requiring additional surgery.
- Gallstones – A doctor may choose to remove the gallbladder because of the risk of gallstones developing during rapid weight loss. If gallstones are not detected, this could lead to further health problems.
Doctors have a duty of care to their patients. It is important that they discuss with patients ahead of time the risks involved in surgery.You can learn more about gastric bypass surgery complications by visiting our article library. Contacting a Chicago Medical Malpractice LawyerAt the Law Offices of Barry G. Doyle, P.C, our Chicago medical malpractice attorneys will examine all aspects of your claim, determine liability, and aggressively pursue the full amount of compensation due to you or your loved one for any injuries or loss of life due to medical malpractice. Contact us today for a free case evaluation – 312-263-1080.