In Nashville, Tennessee, three Fulbright scholars were hospitalized suffering from carbon monoxide poisoning after being overcome by fumes in the residence hall in which they were staying. An investigation determined that faulty heating equipment was the source of the carbon monoxide poisoning.A couple of points:
- Many episodes of carbon monoxide poisoning are caused by faulty heating equipment or improperly vented heating equipment. With cold weather starting to set in, you should be careful to have all of your heating equipment checked for proper operation and to make sure that it is properly vented. Also, please check your carbon monoxide detectors and make sure that there are fresh batteries installed.
- Cognitive impairments are one of the signature injuries from carbon monoxide poisoning. As Fulbright scholars, these three people who were injured were obviously people functioned at a very high level intellectually, and after their fellowships were over, were probably on track for significant careers in their chosen fields and significant earnings over the course of their lifetimes. If there are long-term cognitive deficits compared to their pre-injury status, the impairment of their earning capacities is a legitimate item of damages, even if they go on to make good money in their fields. Evaluating this kind of loss of earnings is very difficult and will take the assistance of an experienced personal injury attorney.