Six people from a New York diner had to be hospitalized after falling ill due to carbon monoxide poisoning. After the diner was cleared, authorities determined that the source of carbon monoxide was defective venting to the hot water heater in the diner.There are a few key items in every investigation of a possible carbon monoxide poisoning case:
- Was there in fact carbon monoxide present where the people became ill in amounts sufficient to cause injury or illness? This is usually determined by authorities on the scene using a carbon monoxide detector, if one has not been installed at the home or business.
- Is there carbon monoxide emitting equipment nearby? Any piece of machinery that burns gas is a possible source of carbon monoxide emissions.
- Is the equipment in proper working order? Poor maintenance or improper installation of the equipment can result in the gases being released indoors instead of outdoors.
- Is the equipment properly vented? For the equipment to be used safely, the carbon monoxide cannot be released into a confined space, and to keep that from happening it must be properly vented, and the venting system must be in good working order.
Most often the investigation reveals that there was a defect in one of these areas that produces the carbon monoxide poisoning that injured, sicken, or kills the victims of carbon monoxide poisoning.