An Oregon woman recently died of effects from carbon monoxide poisoning from a Dec. 9 accident which killed her husband also. A spokesman from the fire department indicated that the cause of the carbon monoxide accident was an improperly installed heater. The improper venting which caused fumes to fill the home.Carbon monoxide comes from the burning of fossil fuels such as gas, so improperly vented heaters are a common causes of carbon monoxide deaths. A first step in investigating this accident would be to determine when and who installed the heater. If this was done by a contractor, the contractor faces potential civil liability for the two deaths caused by this accident. A second step that would have to be taken is to determine how it was improperly vented. This should be shown in the fire department’s investigation. If not, steps must be taken to preserve the scene and all evidence related to the accident.This was a very avoidable accident which deserves a proper investigation.